Sunday, November 20

One motif and two media: The Art of Sarah Wimperis

I have been following Sarah's work for a long time and always felt like sharing one of her works.
She just finished the oil version, right picture, of a friend's room in Edinburgh.
The same motif is at the left done with watercolor.
These is what she says at her blog The Red Shoes:
About the oil, left picture:
"Another painting of my dear friends room. I enjoy working in a different media*(sic) with the same subject and it certainly focuses the decisions that you have to make throughout a painting. I love the result, its a sumptuous room and the oils bring a real richness to the colours."
About the watercolor version, right picture:
"I am posting this up now for several reasons, firstly, I think it is finished. I have been working on it over the past couple of weeks and I find that putting things up on my blog helps me to see if there are any bits I want to change or carry on with. Its a bit like viewing your painting in a mirror, it helps to see it clearly." " This work here is big, and some of his are big, it is a difficult medium to take large and he is a master."
You can now look at the two versions and have an idea of what each technique has of differences. This kind of paintings, there are many of them at the web even selling their work for low prices, is the academic version with a touch of impressionism usually inspired by Matisse but never Cezanne and they are soulless. Few artists are capable of mastering this technique imprinting a mark of their own in the canvas just like in the academic art.